Saturday, November 13, 2010

My Marathon Story

Once in a while there are things that you plan for that exceed your expectations when they happen. They are rare, but those moments do exist and this past weekend was one of them for me.

When I was young, my father registered to run the NYC Marathon. By his recollection it was 1978, only the second or third year the course wound through all five boroughs of New York City rather than being confined to Central Park as it has originated. Due to an injury he sustained during training, however, my father was forced to withdraw around mile 16. For me it didn't matter that he finished or not, I can still vividly recall him training and going down to 4th Avenue in Brooklyn to see him run by. More importantly though, a seed was planted in my mind - an allure of this spectacle called the NYC Marathon.

I remember trying to imagine what it would be like to run it, how old I needed to be to enter, and even developed a fantasy of being the youngest runner to compete, this despite not even being able to run around Prospect Park let alone the unimaginable distance of 26.2 miles. As I grew older, the idea of actually running the race began to take on almost legendary implications; a seemingly unattainable goal. Due in large part because I didn't really find running an enjoyable thing to do. Sure I played soccer in high school and college, but that was a different kind of running. For me, back then, the idea of running for such a long period of time seemed like the kind of thing that only certain people were capable of doing. My distance sport for many years, until this year actually, became bike riding but thoughts of the marathon still permeated my mind.

Not just any marathon though, the NYC Marathon. Perhaps it has something to do with my dad's attempt, or maybe it has something to do with how Frank Sinatra's lyrics resonated in anyone from New York (or elsewhere), or possibly because I continued to go to the race at times to cheer people on as they ran it - many times along the same stretch of 4th Avenue and later in Central Park on a couple occasions. Whatever the reason, when I thought marathon I thought NYC and almost always said "next year." Well, as you already know, 2010 was "next year."

My first order of business was just getting into the darn race, let alone training for it. With so many people vying for a limited number of entries I decided the best option was to find a charity on whose behalf to run. There are many but when I looked on the marathon page my eyes immediately fell on Team Hole in the Wall. As I explained in my earlier blog post, I was drawn to the team because of its mission and my own personal connection with attending sleep-away camp as a child. I was exceedingly excited when they accepted me and began my fundraising immediately as well as continued my training in earnest.

The fundraising was made easier by the wonderful generosity of family and friends who responded to my initial email request with numerous donations. Within a very short time I had nearly reached my goal; it was more than a little humbling to see such an immediate and overwhelming show of support. Training was another story. Having never really been much of a runner and recalling my father's story of suffering a training-related injury, I consulted an online marathon training regiment. Actually I compared two and created a sort of hybrid of them both, drawing aspects from each but keeping true to their common underlying principles and mileage limits. Through the summer I steadily added miles to my runs while paying close attention to my stride and running form -- having been impressed as to the importance of both in preventing injury. I also got properly sized for new shoes to avoid suffering the unfortunately common fate of loosing toenails.

Soon I went from barely being able to complete a lap of Prospect Park without breaking to walk, to reaching milestones such as a third of a marathon, to a half, to over 20 miles in a single day. My weekly totals climbed from 10-15 to 30-40. When before I could feel the pain in my legs the day after running 4 miles, now I would run those same distances almost as a warm up. I thanks to the concentration on form and pace, I was feeling none of the discomfort in my knees that I'd previously experienced. As the days closed in on the marathon day, I began confirming what I'd wear for the race and running long distances in each combination of clothes so that nothing would be tried for the first time on November 7.

When I picked up my number and bag of marathon-related swag from the Marathon Expo on Thursday, November 4 I felt ready. Nervous and excited for sure, but ready as I'd ever be. I felt confident about my training and every aspect of what I was prepared to wear and eat on the day of the race. All systems, as they say, were go. I was consumed by the prospect of running the race, but Saturday evening would prove to re-shape my mindset of what I was involved in.

Team Hole in the Wall had a gathering the evening before the race at the Roosevelt Hotel in midtown. The last - and perhaps only - time I'd been to the hotel was for a Federal Bar Council reception to which Karen accompanied me. That was one evening, almost three years ago, but has always stayed with me as vivid memory. A room full of lawyers and judges fresh from their offices and chambers and Karen, striking an image of beauty and poise wearing a gorgeous blue dress, holding my hand as we walked among them. Were I not smitten with her before, that evening surely sealed the deal, as well as - dare I say - endeared herself to all who met her there. So there was already an emotional aspect to what I imagined would be a more or less routine pre-event meeting that evening. How wrong I was.

Not really knowing what to expect, I said hello to the few people from the organization that I'd met at the Marathon Expo and found a seat at the periphery of the crowd. Soon after, a gentleman, Jim if memory serves me, came and introduced himself. He extended his hand saying "thank you for running." He continued by explaining that his son attended one of the Hole in Wall camps and was already excited to go back next year. As he continued, he gave an emotional account about how important the experience was for his son but, just as importantly, what a difference it made for him, his wife, and their other children. How the time at camp not only allowed his son to behave like a child and enjoy life, but permitted the rest of the family to have a moment, however brief, when they could live like a "normal" family and focus on other things than his illness. It is an aspect of the camps that I knew from reading their literature but until you hear the words coming from a grateful parent's mouth it didn't truly hit me. If I still needed an inspiration to run the following day, Jim and his family were it.

Later during the meeting runners were offered a chance, in true camp fashion, to stand and tell the group a little something about themselves and their reason for running the marathon. Initially I was hesitant to say anything but as the stories got told I felt the desire to share mine as well. After, as has happened so often when I talk in public like this, several people, including Jim, came to offer their condolences and best wishes for my future. Leaving the meeting I felt re-energized and eager to run for me, for Team Hole in the Wall, and for all the children and families whose lives are touched by it.

The following day, as I ran with my team jersey, I saw many supporters along the race and soaked in the positive reinforcement showered by the cheering section at 76th and 1st Avenue. Repeatedly along the course I felt shivers run along my spine and send goosebumps to my arms. Initially I thought they were caused by the cold, or the need for water, or because of the long road ahead of me that day. Soon, however, I realized it was because of none of those. Rather, it was the emotion of the day. Being on the road toward 26.2 miles as the achievement eluded my dad in 1978 due to injury. Working toward a goal I'd secretly harbored since a child but never believing was something I could do. Thinking about Karen even though, as I mentioned before, she'd think me crazy for doing it yet knowing she'd be there cheering for me along the route and the end. But also for the importance of what I was doing to the lives of all those who attend, or have children that attend, the camps. Between these emotions, the roar of the crowds, and the perfect weather, it was a spectacular day to run the NY Marathon and an experience I don't think I can ever fully duplicate....but think I will try to next year.

Thank you all again for the support and donations to help me achieve my goal.

Thank you to all the staff and volunteers of Team Hole in the Wall -- we might have been the ones running, but you are the ones that made the possible.

Finally, thank you New York for making the day spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment