Sunday, May 10, 2009

2009 Israel Ride (Part Two)

Well the ride is over and what a ride it was. Challenging both physically and emotionally, yet rewarding in incalculable ways. I am still - and will I'm sure continue for many days, weeks, and months - processing the trip and what it has meant for me as part of my healing, but here's a little of what the final two days of riding had in store for us....


Day 4 - Shabbat at Mitzpe Ramon

We spent a well deserved day of rest at Mitzpe Ramon, which was ended with havdalah service at the edge of the maktesh. Even though the sky wasn't as clear as one would have hoped, it was an awe inspiring sight to watch the sun set over the expanse of the maktesh and see the desert around us change in color.



Before havdalah began, people were invited to share thoughts of theirs from the three days of riding or anything else that was on their mind. While I had talked about Karen and James with several people on the ride individually, I had been hesitant to bring it up in front of the group because I didn't want to spoil the festive mood that was prevalent on the ride. However, as we sat there reflecting on the past days I felt moved to open my mouth. I choked the words out to the group, telling the story I've told so many times in the past months. It was as tough as it ever was to talk about it, but I'm glad I did. I was immediately embraced by several people and over the remaining days so many more - if not every rider and crew member.


Day 5 - Mitzpe Ramon to Kibbutz Ketura (57 miles)

The day of riding began with a group photo from the top of the maktesh.



After we were done, the ride crew spaced our start to allow for intervals between riders on the downhill. Needless to say that in some cases, me included, those spaces quickly evaporated. How could I have not let myself enjoy the fun of a long downhill with several exciting switchbacks? It was a great way to begin the day!

After a short rest at the bottom to allow all the riders to re-group, we started off across the maktesh. The weather stayed a bit overcast, which helped keep the temperature down somewhat throughout the day.

The riding day had us going through some amazing terrain as we headed deeper into the Negev and the stark bareness of the terrain became increasingly wonderful to see. In addition to the monster downhill to begin the day, we rode along rolling hills -- giving us additional downhills, many coming with warning signs of their steepness.



But the cautions of steep grades were not the only signs we began encountering. Since much of the Negev is used for military training purpose, there was ample warnings against leaving the road and venturing anywhere beyond.



We made sure to keep on the safe side of the signs.



The day ended as it started with a great, long, and fast downhill into the Arva Valley. Across the valley were the hills of Jordan, obscured by the unusually hazy weather.



As great of a downhill as it was, some of us - me included - would be climbing it the following morning to begin the final day of riding. The evening, however, was devoted to rest and relaxation as we were hosted by Kibbutz Ketura, home of the Arva Institute. The hospitality shown by the kibbutz was exceptional. After a quick dip and lounging by the pool with a cold Goldstar beer, we attended a outside dinner of exceptional food, drink, and warm spirits. It almost made me forget about the morning's uphill.


Day 5 - Kibbutz Ketura to Eilat

As I said, the killer 4.8 mile downhill we had to end the day before was to be a 4.8 mile uphill to start the final day of riding. The option was given for us to be bussed to the top of the hill and start riding from there, but I and 9 other "meshugim" riders opted to get up by our own power. I felt it was a challenge, like so many others I've been facing in these months, that I needed to at least try to do and felt confident I would succeed. The route snaked up the cliff side in a series of switch-backs that were so much fun riding down but so much not on the way up.





As hard as the climb was it actually ended up being quite doable and we made it from the kibbutz to the summit in about 40 minutes and were at the first pit stop (where the main group of riders started) in just under an hour. We made great time, but it was the last we'd make in the day.

After we resumed the ride, we were almost immediately hit with a headwind that had to be 30+ miles an hour. Over the next 15 kilometers or so, we struggled to make way averaging little more than 5 - 7 MPH. At one point I got off the bike for a call of nature break, as well as to stop the incessant howl of the wind in my ears, and could barely keep from being blown over by holding onto a sign post. It was some of the worst wind I've ever encountered on my bike or off.

We made it to the next rest stop when the wind added a special twist by kicking up dust and sand. For the next twenty minutes we huddled behind what shelter we could, in this case bushes and shrubs, preparing ourselves to head out onto the road. Just as the lead rider with us announced that we should prepare to get riding again, vans showed up carrying members of the main group who had departed the rest stop about ten minutes before we arrived. They had made it about 10 kilometers down the road when the decision was made to return them to the rest stop because of the increasingly deteriorating and hazardous conditions. Eventually the entire group was reassembled at the rest stop and we were loaded on buses to skip ahead on the route. Along the way, however, we stopped at a point where the boarder with Egypt comes right up to the roadside. The guard tower in the distance is Egyptian and the barbed-wire fence next to me is the actual boarder.



From the overlook we continued by bus to the top of the final downhill into Eilat and it was determined by ride leaders that conditions had improved sufficiently enough for us to ride it. And what a ride it was. The downhill, like so many before, was fast with great switch-backs and curves, but most amazing of all was the view of the Red Sea below us. Needless to say, we were all smiles as we coasted toward the ride's end.



Once at the bottom of the descent the group came together for the final ride down the beach and to our hotel.



I feel like I keep repeating myself, but it was an amazing ride. In the past I've done other multi-day rides, but this one was not only better organized and supported than any I've done in the past, but was so emotionally powerful and through such beautiful terrain as to be incomparable. Not only that, but due to its size - only about 35 riders - it was easy to meet everyone and make new friends. As I said in my first post, I had come on the ride looking forward to the solitude of riding through the desert but now realize that the true reason for my riding was to meet new friends. It has also been a realization for me that despite what has happened and the losses I've suffered, that I am able - and need to for my sake and Karen's - to continue experiencing life and making new memories. This might sound obvious of a statement, but I assure you it is not something I could even comprehend a few short months ago. Now, even as I continue to miss her nearly every waking moment of my days, I understand that I must continue my life however difficult a concept and taks that may be.

Thank you all once again for your support in making it possible for me to have done this.

No comments:

Post a Comment