Friday, April 17, 2009

Prospect Park bench and angels again?

Today I got an email from the Prospect Park Alliance to let me know that the plaque on the bench adopted in memory of Karen and James had been installed. I still want and plan to have of a small-ish ceremony to commemorate it, but with the last minute word it would be hard, if not impossible, to arrange for it to happen before I left for Israel on Monday. But I wanted to see it, so tonight I went with my mother for a first visit.

For those of you in New York, you know what a beautiful day it was and the park was very crowded with people enjoy the perfect spring weather. It was the right kind of day to see it. There was a vibrancy and energy in the park and I'm glad I went. I had wanted to take a picture of the entire bench showing where it is located, but there was someone sitting at the other end of it and I didn't think it proper to impose on him to be in the picture or ask him to move. Here, however, is a close up snap shot of the plaque itself:



I will take another picture when I go back tomorrow or Sunday, but as you can see the plaque is very nice and I think it is a touching tribute to them both. In addition, the view from sitting on the bench is quintessential Prospect Park, made even more perfect by the blossoms on the trees:



My mom and I sat for a little while talking. It was a peaceful way to end a long week and to think about the upcoming trip to Israel. On the Long Meadow in front of us were all sorts of people out enjoying the weather, the road was busy with bikers and runners, and the paths crowded with dog walkers and pedestrians. Which is why what happened when we left was so shocking to both of us.

There is path from where the bench is to the Garfield Place entrance that we were following. It is a "herd" path, but well worn by people getting to and from the Long Meadow. As we were walking I looked down and noticed a folded up bill, almost like a piece of origami. I bent down in mid-sentence and picked it up. How could the same thing happen again? I've been walking in Prospect Park more times than I can count since Karen's death and the time I "found" the $120 (read my earlier post, "Angels in the Architecture," if you don't know what I'm talking about here) but in all those other visits and walks throughout the park I haven't found even a single coin. Now, this day, when the plaque was installed and what would have been our eight month wedding anniversary, there is money once again in my path in Prospect Park. Not to mention that countless other people must have walked right past it, but I for some reason spotted it.

My mom and I, just as I was with Jon and Sharon on the other day, looked at each other in momentary stunned silence. Karen letting me know she is keeping an eye on me? How could we not think that. Was I once again looking for "angels in the architecture"? Perhaps. But when I unfolded and looked at the bill closer my mind was all but made up. The serial number is 11000163. An 11 separated from a 16 by three zeros. 11/16, November 16, the date Karen died. I am the one writing this and even I don't believe it myself. Between this and the others things that happened what else is one to believe? This is now WAY beyond coincidences. There is no mistaking that she is with me and letting me know she is looking out for me. I feel it on a day-by-day basis, but things like this just confirm it.

* * *

For anyone in Brooklyn, or planning on being, the bench is located along the path that circles the Long Meadow near the Garfield Place entrance. To find it, enter through the Garfield Place entrance, cross the road and follow the "herd path" to toward the Long Meadow. There will be three benches just to your right on the paved path, it is the leftmost one if you're looking at them from the path. I don't know how to mark the benches, but here is a map of its location (the three benches are actually visible as little rectangles seeming to protrude to the left of the path):


View Larger Map


Please let me know if you want further detail on how to locate the bench. I hope you you do visit it will provide some measure of comfort and I will also be posting details on whatever ceremony ends up being planned for it when I'm back in May.

2 comments:

  1. So, I have chills reading this. She is with you, Drew, no doubt about that. As is James. And this to start off a wonderful trip to Israel, to show you she is watching over you and keeping you safe. It is perfect.
    I would like to know more information when you get back about the gathering at the bench b/c I would like to try and make it.
    Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete