Saturday, February 14, 2009

James Alex Fried

Yesterday, February 13, 2009, was Karen's due date, although she was convinced that James would arrive early just as she and her brother had. It was a date we had been eagerly expecting since we found out she was pregnant and one that I was dreading since November 16. Just this week I looked on a calendar we have in the kitchen and noticed she had written "James Here!!" on the date, and indeed a reminder - as if I would have needed one - rang on my iPhone yesterday morning. Now those whimsical notations of events yet experienced are a sad and haunting reminder of what will never be.

Many people sent me messages of support, which helped me through the day. Because I couldn't contemplate what to do during the day I did has helped in the weeks since Karen's death, I walked. In fact I walked a lot! I went from my apartment in Park Slope all the way out to Coney Island and back. The way out I walked along the tree-lined boulevard of Ocean Parkway. On the Boardwalk at Surf Avenue I sat and took in the view. While the weather was sunny and unseasonably warm, the beach was barren save for a flock of seagulls hunkered down against the persistent on-shore breeze. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and through the clear winter air I could see Breezy Point in the far distance and Rockaway Point closer, an line of cargo ships passing between the two as they entered and left New York Harbor. I walked back through Brighton Beach, feeling with each step that I had left New York completely and transported to Odessa, and along Coney Island Avenue all the way back home.

In all I walked about 16 miles (according to Google Maps) over the course of about 5 hours. The whole time my mind thinking about what the day meant. Nothing was resolved or reconciled, but I made it through the day, which was what I needed to do.

There are many more dates in my future whose arrivals I am anticipating with anguish. However, just as I made it through yesterday and I made it to Coney Island and back one step at a time, I will take each new day the same way and get through them. What other choice do I have?

1 comment:

  1. This is Brenda from YWBB. I just experienced what would have been my 2nd wedding anniversary on 2/3/09. These dates are not easy, and I don't know that they ever will be. I think to myself-years down the road, if I move on in other ways such as family and things, am I still going to hold these dates sacred? I think so. I think of you and my thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete