Friday, January 29, 2010

Another memorial

Last year, the director of the Alumni Office at Packer Collegiate Institute, Karen's and my alma mater, contacted me about putting a plaque up in the chapel. Packer, which was founded as an all women's school in 1845 and went coed in the early 1970s, uses the chapel for assemblies and other large gatherings. It is a fabulous, Gothic (I think, since I'm not so versed in architectural styles) space with wonderful Tiffany stained glass windows and I was touched by the school's desire to put a remembrance of Karen in it.

It was installed some time ago but until yesterday I had not been back to the school since our 19th reunion weekend, when we got engaged, and had not seen it. Initially, I thought it was merely going to be her name included on a larger plaque of other alumni who had passed away. As it turns out, however, it is a plaque unto itself mounted on one of the southern facing walls next to the stained glass windows. I was quite moved to see it.


(Unfortunately not the best picture, but all I had was my iPhone and it was a bit dark - as usual - in the chapel.)

No comments:

Post a Comment