Sunday, November 15, 2009

My birthday

Today is my thirty-eighth birthday. I feel, however, that I've aged so much more in the past year.

In years past, the days and weeks leading up to my birthday were often times of increased anxiety for me. Not because I was inherently sad or disappointed with turning another year older, but rather I would find myself "taking stock" (as I'm sure so many other people do) of where I was in my life, where I thought I would be, and where I felt myself going. During these years my sleep would be interrupted and I would regularly wake in the middle of the night to contemplate various aspects of my life, often (I'm sorry sad to say) with negative feelings. I had become, in some ways, accustomed to this annual occurrence and expected it.

That was until last year's birthday.

As my thirty-seventh birthday approached, I still woke up in the middle of the night. When I did, however, there was not a negative thought in my mind. Instead I looked over to the woman laying next to me and smiled...broadly. How could I not? Here was a girl I had been attracted to since high school and to whom I never imagined I could be married, let alone date. But married to her was only the start, she was to be the mother of my son and the person with whom I knew I would spend the rest of my life. Looking at her sleeping by side, as I did so many other nights, I couldn't help but consider myself the luckiest man alive. I was so happy and told Karen all of this. Her response? To hug me to her and kiss me deeply.

Last year my birthday was on a Saturday. As we did so many other days, we spent every minute of it together. First was an early brunch at Moutarde, a French bistro on Fifth Avenue, while one of our cats was being cared for at the veterinarian's office. Next we went to Broadway for a matinee of Speed the Plow and then walked over to Hell's Kitchen where we had a snack of Thai food followed by a visit to a baby store to test drive strollers. James had, in the past weeks, begun moving much more and I felt his kicks (or punches) often. Karen and I talked constantly about him and our excitement of becoming parents. After wandering around the neighborhood a little while longer, we headed to the rooftop bar at the Peninsula Hotel before finishing our evening with a fabulous dinner at Aquavit. We were all smiles, each of us feeling like we were on top of the world.



This feeling of happiness and absolute contentment on my birthday, a feeling I'd not had before, lasted a less then forty-eight hours. Joy replaced by pain. Hopes dashed. My future shattered in an instant before my eyes.

How do I celebrate my birthday this year? With tears in my eyes.

3 comments:

  1. Lost for words friend, I am giving you a hug and nodding. True love never dies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. abigailregier@gmail.comNovember 15, 2009 at 2:09 AM

    andrew, you summed it up so well, so vividly. Did Karen have an inkling that those were her finla days? I don't know. But your last days together were spent so well....so in love and in tune with one another. Is it enough to say that that is more than some people get in a lifetime? I don't know/. I don't know if that's a consolation. But know this: what you two had WAS and IS more than most people get ina lifetime--you two just lived it in less than a year. So you had love. And now you have to deal with loss. Not to minimize NY OF IT...but now you join a differnt club. I am so sorry that thi s happened--there are no words to express the grief you probably ffeel on a daily basis. All I can think of of is.....life= love = eventual loss. You love, you live, you lose, but you love again, because you must live. it hurts. But you keep going. because you must keep loving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of hugs to you...dhyana81 (ywbb)

    ReplyDelete